frontier001

frontier001:

starbucklovesapollo:

After putting it off for months, I finally watched the last three episodes of Battlestar Galactica (Daybreak Part 1, 2 & 3) this evening. I was sobbing for nearly the entire last third. Lee and Kara. Bill and Laura. The ship herself. Could not. contain. the. emotion. Everything was beautiful and heart shattering and perfect, until that last five minutes…. WHAT DID I JUST EXPERIENCE. I momentarily ceased being racked by sobs and sat in silence/disbelief/confusion.

I’m still processing. I cannot decide if I frakking hated the final scene and want to unsee it or if I think it was complete genius. I have no idea how I feel about it…Please discuss this with me internet because the finale aired in 2009 and here I am helpless and 5 years behind the times and in desperate need of someone to chat BSG with me, because it is the most phenomenal show I have ever seen.

I’m in the minority on this, but I loved the finale.  I think only about 40% of us do (with the other 60% hateful).  I thought it was brilliant and perfect though.  I hear people complain all the time that Oh, “It didn’t give us every answer,” or “What was Starbuck?” or this or that and I just shake my head and sigh at those folks.

If you’re watching a show for answers to either literal or fictional questions about life, love, philosophy, ethics — what it means to be human — you’re so missing the point.  It’s not about the answers; it’s about the question in the first place.  And those answers?  You’ll never get them in life either, I hate to tell you.  So don’t go picking what you loved apart!  There are always unanswered questions; deal with it! ;)

So Say We All!

I’m joining the 40%. I LOVED the finale. I wasn’t sold on the last scene when I first watched it last night, but after sleeping on it I’ve decided I think it was powerful and deliciously ambiguous and thought provoking and unlike any other series finale I’ve seen. I’m still thinking about it. However I wasn’t huge on the RDM cameo, I found it distracting.

As for the two and a half hours prior, they were incredible. I didn’t want all the answers and one of the aspects of BSG I enjoyed so much was that the writers never spelled anything out. The show never talked down to its audience, the writing staff always assumed the viewers were capable of deriving meaning for themselves. So the ambiguity suited the tone set throughout the entire series, yet we still managed to have some sense of closure for each of the characters we loved. Perfection. It is hands down the best show I’ve ever watched.

Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
Sam Anders. ‘Daybreak Part 2’, Battlestar Galactica.
briannaefraser

"Your soulmate doesn’t necessarily have to be the person that you’re meant to be with. And I think that’s what Kara and Lee had, was that they were soulmates, but they weren’t meant to be together. […] And I think that it was the first true representation of that kind of relationship between a man and a woman where they didn’t end up together because they weren’t supposed to end up together. But they were supposed to kind of learn everything from each other." — Katee Sackhoff

"Your soulmate doesn’t necessarily have to be the person that you’re meant to be with. And I think that’s what Kara and Lee had, was that they were soulmates, but they weren’t meant to be together. […] And I think that it was the first true representation of that kind of relationship between a man and a woman where they didn’t end up together because they weren’t supposed to end up together. But they were supposed to kind of learn everything from each other."Katee Sackhoff